Are children much better language learners than adults?
Children just soak up languages like a sponge, but it’s too late for me now.
How a child can learn 5 languages
- She lives in Spain
- She speaks Spanish and Japanese at home with her parents
- She attends an English medium international school
- The school has a language focus to it, and runs a number of German classes as part of the curriculum
- She also takes regular extra-curricular sign language classes at the school, and has done for a while
- She visits Japan for 2-3 months every summer and attends Japanese summer schools whilst she’s there
- Her uncle and cousin, who she sees regularly, are native English speakers
Children vs. adults
- For years now, she’s been spending the majority of her waking hours learning or speaking one of her 5 languages.
- She uses 3 languages regularly with the people she loves.
- She takes regular classes in the other 2 (and will be for years to come).
- The people around her understand the importance of learning languages, and are incredibly encouraging and supportive.
- Spend time on your languages every day…and keep it up for years
- Speak regularly with people you like
- Be clear why you’re learning, and stay motivated by surrounding yourself by the right people